Holmes is an international design firm that does more than just engineering. We are compelled by possibilities, informed by community interests, and in constant pursuit of the why behind all our work. With US offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, and Boulder, we are part of the New Zealand-based Holmes Group with employees around the Pacific Rim.
We are seeking a Fire Engineer to join our team.
Ideal candidates should be ambitious in all sides of the business by doing great work, then successfully conveying that work to clients, projects teams, and colleagues—technical expertise and strong social finesse. In this deadline-heavy environment, we’re looking for fast learners and excellent communicators with the ability to handle increased responsibilities.
To join the team, candidates should have:
- A B.S. (M.S. preferred) in Fire Protection Engineering or other engineering discipline
- 4+ years work experience working in a fire safety consultancy or related discipline
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensure in the state of California
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including listening and questioning
- Time management efficiency
- Computer software skills: Basic MS Word, Intermediate Outlook and Excel, and fire modeling tools
- Problem-solving capabilities
- A team-player project approach by contributing to and encouraging project team involvement
- Performing preliminary design work and complex analysis work for Performance Based Fire Engineering.
- Performing computer modeling of fire and smoke using Fire Dynamics Simulator (NIST) or similar
- Independently performing computer modeling of occupant evacuation using spreadsheet calculations, Pathfinder, Evacnet, and similar evacuation models
- Assessing structural systems exposed to fire through computational methods outlined in standards and research papers
- Utilizing engineering knowledge and judgment to determine appropriate strategies and methods of assessment pertinent to the task at hand
- Independently performing report writing, computer modeling, research and development of engineered solutions
- Performing audits of existing buildings for fire safety compliance
- Coordinating with clients, consultants and enforcing agencies in relation to fire safety aspects of projects.
- Assisting the Principal & CEO with marketing initiatives and project scope
- Acting as a comprehensive liaison with clients, both marketing and project execution
- Meeting client requirements with regard to time and cost
- Reviewing the work of other engineers and less experienced staff, both critically and technically
- Managing site assessment and supervision of existing buildings
- Ensuring appropriate commercial outcome on projects, including the solicitation and delivery phases
- Being directly responsible for the specification of fire safety requirements for buildings
- Coordinating scope and schedule with prospective clients to develop fee proposals for complex projects