Holmes Structures is a structural engineering firm, with offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland and Seattle. We are part of the New Zealand based Holmes Group, with offices around the Pacific Rim. Compelled by the possibilities, we are relentlessly pursuing Why – to create what is Best.
We’re seeking a Project Engineer (Seismic Risk Assessment) in San Francisco or Los Angeles!
Candidates should have a B.S. and / or M.S. Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering, a minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant seismic work experience and a valid PE license. Candidates must be fast learners, ambitious, have the ability to handle increased responsibilities, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be able to interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
Project site locations are expected to be predominantly in the Western USA, however some may be in other seismic regions of the USA or international locations. Candidate’s home office can be either Los Angeles or San Francisco. Candidate must be willing to travel up to 25% of time for on-site work, or more if needed.
Key functions of this position include:
- Perform Seismic Risk Assessments of existing buildings and facilities, including ASCE41 evaluations of structural and non-structural components and on-site visual evaluations
- Discuss and develop mitigation solutions for identified seismic vulnerabilities
- Prepare written reports
- Communicate the findings of Seismic Risk Assessments to clients
- Prepare structural design solutions for seismic retrofit projects
- Perform post-earthquake damage assessments and design repairs
- Interest in expanding into assessment of other natural hazards and climate change impacts
- Prior Seismic Risk Assessment experience desired but not required
- Strong communication skills to contribute to team talks, technical sessions and project presentations
- Strong writing skills, ability to produce a report and review/critique reports prepared by others
- Experience and good working knowledge of ASCE41
- Computer software skills: Advanced MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Intermediate ETABS, SAP, Risa (or equivalent)
- Curious; Helpful; Resourceful; Fast Learner; Ambitious; Pragmatic